Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Waking to the smell of grape bubblegum...

is such a delight! One of the first signs of glorious Spring in South Texas is the mountain laurel, and I am priviledged to have moved to a property where the neighbors to the right have provided me with a view of some young shrubs. This morning they were bursting with these luscious purple clusters that have the uncanny fragrance of grape bubblegum, especially since they indeed look like real grapes from afar. If there are a number of these shrubs/trees in the area, the air is quite pervasive with their distinctive scent.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Another pleasant sighting and the second indication that Spring is sprouting is the budding-out of our native Texas redbud trees. The flora does not last any time at all so you have to appreciate them quickly. The flowers range from a light pink to a light lavender, the most common being a deep, sincere pink. I want a lavender one for my yard.... I want purples and blues in my landscape, interspersed with some yellows and whites. I want an Oriental/tropical water garden also, but more on that later. I want, I want...... am I becoming a gardener, or what?
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
These harbingers of Spring are certainly inviting and very welcome, but Native Texans do not truly believe it has arrived until the leaves of the indigenious and very plentiful mesquite have started to emerge. The Indians of long ago always warned the settlers not to get too excited about the initial sightings of this 'false' Spring - if the mesquite has not leafed out there was most assuredly the possibility of another freeze in the works. And its been proven year after year. No worries at this time though - ol' Phil up there in PA was correct in his prediction - for South Texas anyway.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our new home's environs (pic below taken by realtor in the immense heat of last August) is presenting itself as a grand palette for me to exercise some creativity. The lawn needs aerating and additional topsoil, which because of the degree of sloped elevation lends itself to erosion. It is with deep consternation to discover this yard also grows rocks, the majority being good old Texas caliche. Although in the pic the St. Augustine is showing severe neglect, it is well established in several areas. Along with the unwanted hackberry, it drinks up the water starving everything else in the area. So - as we are still under severe drought conditions with heavy restrictions on our water usage from the aquifer, our plans are to introduce a more conservation-minded grass - bermuda or zoysia, perhaps. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me hear from you.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have never had nor do I care for the Arizona ash (2 in the front; 2 in back), but will learn to deal with their surfaced roots and 'thatch-potential' leaves. There are a number of mature live oak along the back west fence that provide wonderful shade. Unfortunately too, we have quite a bit of hackberry growing up through our basketweave fence, some being of substantial girth. They will be eventually dealt with when we are able to replace the whole fence with one of a little more sensibility.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Coming Features: (1) plans for the front flowerbed; (2) unpacking long, lost treasures

5 comments:

Darla said...

Good Morning Jeri Sue, love the springtime photos.

I just found you (again) on Carolyn's blot. Its so nice to reconnect. I'm about to leave town for a week but will check in with you when I return.

Darla

Anonymous said...

Great first post lovely pic of what comes to spring first in Texas. Those suface roots of the Arisona Ash that you aren;t fond of. I used to haeve a tree (another house ot htis one) with big surface rrot arms and in between them I would scratch up the soil with a trowel add some more and pout in some white impatient plants or something else that was shade and grew no matter what It gave the bland old tree a little more pleasure to the eye for me. Looking forward to watching your gardens all take shape. I loved the Want want want haha..I have a rule of thumb for all new gareners. the first five years of making new gardens at a new home a garden wants are permitted to be "I Need Need Need..." as in no guilt attached with a purchase of something ELSE for the garden. After 5 years and garden is established they can be thought as wants :-) Of course my garden is 20 years in the making and I still NEED hahahha. Yes, you have been biten by the gardening bug and its a good one, enjoy every minute you are out there.

Anonymous said...

What a joy to see a long lost friend on line again - and how lovely to see the glorious colours of your garden breaking out in springtime finery!

Welcome to blogland, Jeri-Sue - I look forward to reading the story of your last few years as you unfold it here

Love from Roz!

Anonymous said...

What an answer to prayers to be with you again, Jeri Sue. I loved your posts on ACD, the lovely quotes you would post almost daily. And now, with your new blog, here are those beautiful pictures of Texas. And here I thought Texas was just scrub sagebrush, longhorn cattle and desert. Hahaha I love having you back with us again.

Anonymous said...

Jeri Sue, it's good to see you again, thanks to Carolyn. I love, love, love your mountain laurel! And the redbud too. Have fun with your new garden.