Monday, April 2, 2007

A Sunday drive....

Sorry I haven't posted recently, but have been having some difficulty in knowing how to express myself when it comes to my feelings on various subjects - mostly memories. These past few months have been extremely trying for me. How does one put down on 'paper' what it means to move from your home of 43 years - the only true home I ever really had.

Oh, I wish I had a scanner so that I could post some pictures. There are boxes and bags and more boxes of them that never seemed to find their way into any albums. While sorting for the move, many items were hurriedly packed with the hope of going through them once we were settled into the new home. That process began last week, and I find myself overwhelmed with sadness, and longing, and am right now sniffling back the tears once again. It's a grieving that is just as profound as the loss of my son, Lester. Naturally, with more than half of the pictures chronicling his brief life, I suppose this particular depressive state could be dismissed as understandable.

I've come across so many 'treasures' that were thought long lost: old love letters from college boyfriend; greeting cards from long-gone family; poems written with all the angst of most teenage girls; my collection of cat figurines dating back to the 60s; and so much more. One of the things that has hit me the hardest is not a 'find', but the lack of one... my Barbie dolls from 1961! I know I saw that red case in the hall closet at Christmas of '05, when I was putting away the decorations. But alas, NO. Besides my clothes, they were the only things brought with me from the children's home when I was adopted in 1963. The more I think on it, the more I am convinced I know what happened to it, and it breaks my heart all over again. But I won't allow myself to dwell on that...

Now to the point of the title of the day's post - it was beautiful yesterday, sun shining, temps in the low 80's with such clean clear crisp air, and I had to go the grocery store. Well, I matter-of-factly detest going to the grocery store! So I just kept driving and before I knew it, I had found my way out on some of my favorite backroads of our southern Hill Country. Much to my needed delight, this is what I found.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And I thanked God for bringing the rains in the past weeks to make these splendid displays. As far as I was concerned at the moment, He had done it just for me - when I needed it most. Love and Hugs and Enjoy,

4 comments:

Darla said...

Hi JeriSue, I've kind of missed out on the story I think. I had just assumed moving to a different home was a happy thing for you.

Oh my those fields of purple-blues. Makes you just want to wander in them doesn't it?

Darla

Anonymous said...

A positive sea of blue, Jeri-Sue - how beautiful. You really have an eye for natural photography.
I'm sorry that moving has stirred sad memories - hopefully, happier times are on the path ahead.

Anonymous said...

Being wrenched away from your home can be very unsettling. And why shouldn't you grieve for that loss, too? Along with the sad moments and realizing that your Barbies had not arrived with you, I hope that there were also precious and lovely moments that brought joy to you and made you smile.

Are those what's called bluebonnets? And are they related to lupine? I can hardly wait for the next trip to our son's property as this is about the time of year when the lupine in the meadows is blooming. Acres of purple - just like your beautiful acres of Texas blue. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri Sue. Sorry so late in getting here to read this nlog entry, I've been unloading plants for the past few days as back to work now. I can sure understand your feelings when you look back on pictures my friend. I am so happy you kept on driving so I got to see those lovely fields of blue. Change is sometimes not easy but over time it settles in and I hope you will feel less loss of your childhood home by keeping it tucked tightly in your heart always and embracing your new home as something that will grow on you as well as gardens that will grow amd become your connection to it being "home"